- Name: Zachary Alexander Yankush Esquire
- Nickname: Catfish, Dead Dog, Wormburner, Catfish
- Age: 32
- Height, Weight, Stance: 5 feet inches, 135 pounds, right foot forward spin to the left.
- Years Pro: 8
- Hometown? Youngstown, Ohio
- Current residence? Dayton, Ohio
- Married?/Kids? Single and I must have some babies runnin around somewhere
- SHOW YOUR SPONSORS THE LOVE:
- Clothes(s): UGP
- Shoe Sponsor(s): Etnies
- Board/Bike Sponsors(s): DK Bicycle Co
- Drink Sponsor(s): Howland Springs Water Co.
- Any Other Sponsor(s): OBMX.com, Konig Wheels, System Cycle and I’m working on the Magnum condom sponsorship
Keep cilcking for the full Catifsh interview….
KICK OFF WITH A GREAT INTRO:
In 1998 I got hit by a train and survived. 10 years later I pulled my first Rope-a-roni. I have also MC’ed almost every Major BMX contest in the world.
WHAT’S UP? What’s new? Contests? Team changes? Injuries? What’s going on this month?
I leave tomorrow for the wonderful country of Estonia for the Simpel Session contest. It is in the Baltics, it’s freezing cold, and it is hands down the best BMX contest in the world. Plus have you ever seen Scandinavian women? They’ll make you lose your breath.
- How do you fit into your sport? I work as Team Manager for DK Bicycle Co. It’s a dream job. I am surrounded by awesome people that share the same exact love for BMX that I do. Not to mention we have an amazing team.
- What’s the contest or event you’re looking forward to attending next? Simpel Session, Dew Tour, X-games. Any of them. Every contest is like a class reunion with all the cool kids that you actually want to see. I love contests.
- Who’s your biggest influence getting you started? On a local level my crew was Mike Fawcett, Joe Bellino, George Clark, and Chuck Amicone. When I first started it was hands down my little brother Adam. We pushed each other so much. Bigtime pros like Ron Wilkerson and Martin Aparijo were a huge influence and still are.
- What got you your start in your sport? The movie Rad. It changed my life more than any form of media. I still use it with new girls I am dating. If the broad can’t sit through a viewing of Rad…I can’t sit through her.
YOUR CAREER, IN YOUR OWN WORDS
- Favorite (most talked about) film part? And why? The System video was the first real BMX video that I had clips in. I still get kids telling me they were stoked on it.
- Most recent or upcoming film part and details? The UGP video!!! Baco 11
LET’S TALK FILM PARTS
- What are the 2 biggest events of your career and your thoughts on why each was so memorable?
- My first time announcing the X-games. That was as big as it gets. It was X-games 11. It ruled. I got so much ass because of that.
- Simpel Session 2007. To see how receptive Europe is to BMX was mindblowing. I will never miss another one.
- What’s the biggest misconception about your sport? And, about you? Kids see me on TV and don’t think I actually ride. It’s always funny when I meet kids at the skatepark and they are amazed that I’ve got moves. Grandpa’s got moves kids!
- What excites you most about your sport right now? The progression. It’s just insane. I don’t think any of us OG’s thought BMX would get this crazy.
YOUR CHANCE TO TELL IT ALL IN YOUR OWN WORDS
- Do you have any signature products, describe them? I have a signature shirt coming out with OBMX. It’s Biggie Smalls eating a bowl of cereal. Only the cereal are actually white babies.
GIVE YOUR SIGNATURE PRODUCTS SCREENTIME
- Just about every athlete picks up a hobby on the road, some have even turned theirs into gold records and TV shows. Which hobbies have you picked up?
- I have been working on my seduction techniques. I like to think I’ve got game.
- I have been freestyle rapping for a long long time and will challenge anyone who wants some.
- Funny story: (We all have one) Pretend you’re trying to impress a crowd with your funny stories/experiences; which one do you whip out that always gets a smile?
- Good question. I have some good ones. From stalkers to picking up hitchikers. Um…I have a huge tattoo of Allan Cooke on my leg. One night in Greenville after some “adult beverages” Allan asked me if I would get a tattoo of him if he got a tattoo of Catfish and I told him absolutely. I figured he was kidding. A month later he had our good friend Brian Lee tattoo a tiny Catfish on his ass. He gave me shit about it for a while and I told him that I would do it. His wife gave me a ton of shit too, claiming that I was all talk. I told her that I would include her in the tattoo as well (a few years earlier I accidentally shot her in the face with a roman candle in the lobby of a hotel and I told her that I would encorporate that
into it as well). Finally, Allan hooked it up and I got it done. The finished product is A catfish shooting Mary (Allan’s wife) in the face with a roman candle while Allan does a backflip over the entire scene. I’m a moron.
- What movie do you have to have on DVD? RAD, Around the girl in 80 ways.
- What show do you have to TiVo? I have a huge ego so any show that I am on. Props, Fuel TV, the Erotic Network.
- What would we be most surprised to learn about you? I have two college degrees and I wrestled for 7 years in high school and college.
- Everyone is an expert at something. What’s your specialty? Talking shit, BMX trivia, anything hip-hop
- What’s your hugest pet peeve? When pets pee
- Another sport you would like to master? I would love to master baiting. I hear it’s so much fun.
YOU KNOW WHEN CELEBRITIES GO ON THE “TONIGHT SHOW” AND TELL FUNNY/RANDOM STORIES? NOW IT’S YOUR TURN.